Join now - be part of our community!

Cannot play external HDD files o HDT500

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
CWbigsky
Visitor

Cannot play external HDD files o HDT500

Re:  SVR-HDT500 HDD recorder

Hi    Help please.   I exchanged my 3 week old HDT500 as it had intermittent remote control issues and excessive fan noise. Before returning the device, using the HDT500 I formatted a 500gig external HDD and copied a number of recordings onto it.  I tested the playback of all the recordings and all played fine.  However, when I connect the external hdd to the replacement 500, though it displays the title lists, file sizes etc., when I select play the ‘play bar’ displays at the bottom of the Sony TV screen but there is no playback – the counter remaining at zero.  I can see the green play ‘arrow’ in the title list, but have to return to the ‘play bar’ display to ‘stop’ the ‘playback’.   After a 40min call to Sony, where though the rep was pleasant she sadly had no technical knowledge (e.g. she referred to the video files being jpeg and MP3 and did not understand my explanation of what these are and what the Son video file extension is!) she raised a case ref [6997520], promising a call back in a week.   Then two days later she left a message (well to be fair at least she called me) asking me to call her again as she needed to know if I had tried my external hdd on another device (e.g. a pc)   This is does not bode well as I’d already clearly explained to her my pc won’t recognise the ‘Sony’ formatting, so it can’t even ‘see’ the drive!.   So my questions are:   Do I have a faulty ‘new’ 500 ?   Or is there some cross compatibility issue between 500’s?   Does anyone know how you contact proper Sony technical support – I’m hoping there is an email option as their phone team appear unable to help and apear untrained (e.g. I’ve called them numerous times re my TV but they can never help - and I’ve never had the promised callbacks).   Sony -  are you there for your customers?  Can you help me?     

Thanks  Rgds Colin

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have the exact same PVR and like you cannot transfer recording from my box to my mums, it pissed me off tremendously.  Im sorry to say, you have lost your recordings, so you might  as well delete them.

I am of the understaning that when the PVR records something, it is encrypted with a unique key for each box.  So that is why they are not transferable.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have the exact same PVR and like you cannot transfer recording from my box to my mums, it pissed me off tremendously.  Im sorry to say, you have lost your recordings, so you might  as well delete them.

I am of the understaning that when the PVR records something, it is encrypted with a unique key for each box.  So that is why they are not transferable.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

profile.country.en_GB.title
CWbigsky
Visitor

Hi- I appreciate you taking the time and trouble to update me - what you say
explains everything. Though why Sony provides a back up facility which does not
work with any other device is beyond belief. I think I'll write and ask the MD
why this policy is in place; and also why their help line staff admitted to me
they know nothing about the HDT500 and have no technical knowledge or relevant
training and can't help me - having charged me for contacting them!

All the best C