Join now - be part of our community!

Input changing itself

profile.country.en_GB.title
bighammerfan
Explorer

Input changing itself

• Hi all. I have a Bravia 50W809CBU which is approx 3 months old. Recently (since the last update possibly)  when you push certain buttons on the sky remote control the TV changes from HDMI 2 which the sky+ box is plugged in to, to player3 (hdmi1) input and I have to use the input button to change it back. Does anyone know why this is happening ? 

Alan 

6 REPLIES 6
profile.country.en_GB.title
bighammerfan
Explorer

Anyone ?

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown
Enthusiast

@bighammerfan wrote:

Anyone ?

No idea why 😞

Do you have your Sky remote set to also work the TV?

When using the Sky remote, do you see the light at the bottom of the TV flicker? For just these buttons, for other buttons on the remote, or not at all?

If you cover up the Sony TV remote sensor, do you still get the input change?

With the Sky box unplugged, do these buttons still produce the same behaviour?

(The above two tests differentiate the Sky remote working the TV, from the TV thinking the Sky box has told it to switch inputs via CEC (BraviaSync) - you could also try switching off BraviaSync on the TV to test this).

But did you want to know what to do about it?

Firstly, try a soft reset of the TV, by holding down the On/Standby button on the remote for up to ten seconds until the TV reboots.

If this does not cure it, try a Factory Reset.

If this does not cure it, try turning off the BraviaSync, if this seems to be the culprit, and it is not too inconvenient to do this.

However, your line of least resistance might be just to move the Sky box to HDMI 1, which seems to be the direction in which the TV is tugging you. I moved my YouView box off HDMI3 on my Samsung TV, where it was working fine, and switching on the box would also switch on the TV and select HDMI3.

Having it now on HDMI 1 should have meant it would now work the same, but select HDMI 1 as it came on, via CEC. Nope. It seems to have worn a groove in the TV such that it still selected HDMI 3, which soft resetting both devices could not alter.

I shrugged my shoulders, and put the YouView box back on HDMI 3. Life is too short to fix everything......

YouView Superuser, but not an employee of YouView, nor retained by them for this purpose. It's purely me speaking
profile.country.GR.title
MiCal1967
Contributor

Hi,

Sometimes weak batteries, combined with worn carbon or dirt on contacts, in a remote, can cause wrong buttons behaviour. For example pressing Volume Up can change channel number. This gives some kind of wrong code which might happen to be similar to Sony TV codes.

Try changing your batteries first, then check if possible and if you manage to open your remote plastic cover, to clean contacts from dirt(usually vapor from kitchen cooking)

profile.country.GB.title
LostTraail61
New

We watch most of our TV on our Sony Bravia 86", streaming from the 'Home' screen. Does not matter the source, Prime, Netflix, AppleTV, whatever, roughly every 30-40 minutes, the TV will suddenly switch to HDMI 3 (eARC/ARC). A Samsung sound bar is connected to HDMI 3. HDMI 1 is connected to DISH Joey box, HDMI 2 is open, HDMI 4 is Panasonic BlueRay player.

This is frustrating beyond reason that we can't get through ANY show without having to go back to 'Home', scroll back to Prime, Netflix, AppleTV, etc., reselect, get back to the program and 'Resume'.

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

@LostTraail61 

Hold down the On/Standby button on the TV Remote For just over 5 seconds. This will soft reboot the TV, and may cure the issue.

If it doesn’t, disconnect and switch off everything but the TV itself. If the problem continues, you will need to Factory Reset the TV, see if that clears it.

But if the problem doesn’t recur, plug your units back in one at a time, in the sequence soundbar, Bluray player, Joey, leaving an hour, say between each one, and see if one of these devices makes the problem recur.

Please report you results here,

NB: I’m intrigued by the Joey, as to (a) what it does and (b) it working in the UK. I’ll read up on it tomorrow. As it’s the one bit of kit I have never heard of, my suspicion falls on it; but this could be completely unjustified 😛

My favourite bedtime reading is a Sony product manual…
profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

@LostTraail61 

Yup, no idea how you get that Joey working in the UK, unless you are in the US, and that Union Jack on your avatar is misleading.

My favourite bedtime reading is a Sony product manual…