Join now - be part of our community!

HDR-AS30 SLOW and SSLOW option not available when using PAL system?

swerunner
New

HDR-AS30 SLOW and SSLOW option not available when using PAL system?

Hi,
I have just received my new actioncam and when trying to setup the camera using video recording SSLOW or SLOW the option it is not available.
The reason i bought the camera was to be able to record in slowmotion, nothing on sonys product page states the slowmotion options where only available for NTSC systems.
Is there any chance there will be a firmware update so PAL users can take advantage of this feature?
Regards
Lars

4 REPLIES 4
Kokosun
New

+1 for this.

I wasn't aware (prior to purchase) that sslow would not be available to me as a PAL user.  I really think that you should make this 100% clear on the website and in marketing materials, because it's vitally important to a lot of users.

Also, it seems to me that it'd be pretty basic functionality to be able to delete individual video/photo files from the unit, at least while connected to a computer.  Kinda crazy that this isn't an option.

Finally, it'd be good to have the option to automatically record video in 'blocks' of time rather than as just a single time block from hitting start to hitting stop. 

profile.country.DE.title
darkframe
Expert

Hi,

ooh well, my first post in the English section. Please forgive me in case something's not clear, at least I'm not a native speaker.

Well, a PAL version of SSLOW/SLOW would actually be desirable, be it just for the sake of compatibility of frame rates. Anyhow, the NTSC vs. PAL issue actually is not quite a big deal in the HD world.

In HD, there's no difference in colour space between NTSC and PAL anymore as it was with DVDs where NTSC (= Never The Same Colour :wink: ) and PAL (= Peace At Last) had different colour spaces, irrespective of a different frame rate and frame resolution.

Even more, when capturing at 120 fps and when using that footage in your editing programme set to PAL frame rates, the slow motion effect may be even stronger (i.e. even slower). However, an issue could be that due to the conversion from NTSC to PAL frame rates you may be able to notice a short flicker eventually but this additionally is dependent from the software which you're using. One is coping with the conversion better than the other. Simply give it a try and have look whether it's working for you.

Hope that this was of any help to you.

Best wishes

darkframe

Wo kämen wir hin, wenn jeder sagte, wo kämen wir hin und keiner ginge, um zu sehen, wohin wir kämen, wenn wir gingen... (© by Kurt Marti)
Kokosun
New

This is a good and completely valid response.  But, I (for one) find it problematic mixing NTSC video from one source and PAL from another.  It's possible - but challenging.  So, if I were to set my AS30 to NTSC, it would be different to all other video files and when bringing this altogether into a single movie it adds a lot of complexity.

I can't understand why Sony don't have slow and sslow for PAL?  But, if there is a legitimate reason for this, they should at least make it clear in the marketing material.  I find it massively frustrating to buy a piece of equipment, only to discover a flaw, and then be forced to sell it (at a loss).

profile.country.DE.title
darkframe
Expert

Hi Kokosun,

somehow quotations don't work for me /&%/$!!!

And yes, mixing NTSC and PAL frame rates actually is challenging. As said, mixing NTSC and PAL nowadays is at least not causing trouble anymore in regard to colour space (HD footage) but it may well do so regarding frame rates. Hence I agree to all what you've said. Newer models like the HDR-AS100 do have SLOW/SSLOW at PAL frame rates additonally to NTSC frame rates. I'm sure it would be possible for the AS30 as well but don't have any idea why it's not implemented.

Best wishes

darkframe

Wo kämen wir hin, wenn jeder sagte, wo kämen wir hin und keiner ginge, um zu sehen, wohin wir kämen, wenn wir gingen... (© by Kurt Marti)